So I am so excited because I was chosen to share an absolutely amazing Kimchi Bowl recipe from Jackie Sobon’s NEW Vegan Bowl Attack cookbook!
If you don’t know Jackie Sobon, she is a recipe developer, food photographer, and creator of the Vegan Yack Attack vegan food blog. She has a no-nonsense attitude about food and stunning photography. She captures the vibrancy and textures of the vegan food I have come to know and love. Why did she center her cookbook around bowls?
“What makes a bowl any better than other ways to eat food?” Well, for one thing, bowls are fairly well contained from a logistical perspective…Second, some of the best foods are served in bowls!…. Last, bowls are a fun way to take a few foods or ingredients that you love- and that may not hold their own on a plate- and put them together in an incredibly tasty and colorful fashion. -Jackie Sobon, Vegan Bowl Attack, pg 11.
Sounds good to me!
Jackie’s latest project Vegan Bowl Attack includes over 100 one-dish plant-based meals with a variety of chapters. Including Attack of the Vegan Bowls!, Bountiful Breakfast Bowls, Lil’ Snack Bowls, Satisfying Soup and Salad bowls, Enticing Entrée Bowls, Damn Good Dessert Bowls, and Bowl Essentials.
That’s some serious bowls! Flipping through these pages, everything was looked enticing and I could picture my own family making these on a regular basis. One of the recipes that really stood out to me was a recipe for a kimchi bowl. A perfect balance of textures. Tender adzuki beans on a bed of brown rice, drizzled with a nutty-red chile sauce. Topped with the rich, dark flavor of black sesame seeds. This is definitely a recipe to put into my regular rotation. This is certainly not your average beans and rice dish.
Kimchi Bowl with Red Curry Almond Sauce
Gluten Free | Soy Free Option | Yields 4 Servings
For the bowl:
- 1 cup (184g) long-grain brown rice
- 2 cups (245ml) water
- 1/2 pound (225g) broccoli florets
- 1 can (15 oz or 425g) adzuki beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) liquid aminos
For the Red Curry Almond Sauce:
- 2½ tablespoons (38ml) water
- 2 tablespoons (32g) almond butter
- 2 teaspoons red curry paste
- 1-2 tablespoons (15-20ml) lime juice
For the assembly:
- 1 cup (170g) store-bought vegan kimchi
- 2 tablespoons (16g) black sesame seeds
To make the bowl:
- Place the rice and water in a rice cooker (that has a steamer basket) and cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is soft.
- for the last 5 minutes of the rice cooking, place the broccoli florets in the steamer basket and cook until bright green and slightly crunchy.
- In a small post over medium heat, mix the adzuki beans with the liquid aminos and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
To make the red curry almond sauce:
- Whisk all of the ingredients together until smooth.
- Divide the rice and broccoli among 4 bowls. Divide the adzuki beans among the bowls. Place one-quarter of the kimchi in each bowl and drizzle the red curry almond sauce over the top. Garnish with the black sesame seeds and serve.
Text excerpted from Vegan Bowl Attack, © 2016 by Jackie Sobon, book cover photo © Jackie Sobon.
Treat yourself to a copy of Jackie’s amazing book, you will love the diversity of recipes! She is also hosting one heck of a blog tour too, so check it out!
Fit Nurse Taylor is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.